SOUTHERN ILLINOIS – The Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) Wednesday reported 1,848 new confirmed cases of COVID-19, including 22 additional confirmed deaths. Currently, IDPH is reporting a total of 279,114 cases, including 8,508 deaths, in 102 counties.
Three southern Illinois counties – including Williamson, Saline and Franklin – reported deaths due to the novel coronavirus.
Local case breakdown:
- Saline County: 17, one death
- Williamson County: 14, one death at a long term care facility
- Jackson, Pulaski and Union counties: six
- Jefferson County: five
- Perry and Randolph counties: four each
- Massac and Johnson counties: three each
- Hardin and Gallatin counties: one each
The preliminary seven-day statewide positivity rate for testing from September 16-22 is 3.5%. Within the past 24 hours, laboratories have reported 46,391 specimens for a total of 5,231,607.